Simple and yummy! I mean, who doesn't love sugar cookies? And with frosting? Even better!
Want to try out this recipe? I think you should! Just don't plan on sharing these...you'll want to eat all of them yourself. I promise!
- 1/2c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4c sugar
- 1 large egg, plus egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking poser
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 c rainbow sprinkles
- 3/4 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 c confectioners' sugar
- 3 TBSP heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
- extra sprinkles for decoration
- food coloring for the frosting
- For the cookie bars preheat oven to 350F degrees. Use an 8" or 9" square baking pan and line with foil. Leave enough to hang over sides.
- In a large bowl with mixer, cream softened butter for about 1 minute getting it smooth. Add sugar until fluffy and light in color. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat together.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch in a medium bowl. With mixer on low speed gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 parts. The dough will become thick. After all ingredients are combined fold in the sprinkles using a spatula.
- Add the cookie dough to the prepared pan and press evenly to fill the pan. Bake for 25-27 minutes or until lightly brown on top. The goal is to make sure not to over bake. Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature. Once at room temperature you can add the frosting on top.
- Using a mixer, beat butter on medium seed until creamy. (approx, 2 minutes) Add confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla extract while continuing to mix. Increase speed and beat for 3 minutes. If frosting is too thin slowly add more confectioners' sugar. If frosting is to thick add more cream. Add a touch of salt if desired.
Remove completely cooled bars from the pan and frost with a thick layer of frosting. Add more sprinkles if desired. Cut into squares.
Bars can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (They won't last this long!! They're too good to let sit around!)
(Recipe by Sally's Baking Addiction)